accept @pure @nothrow @return attributes

Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 28 12:11:30 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 19:46:33 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> I'd say we just drop it. It's a waste of time to talk about it.
> There's no proof on why the idea isn't accepted, and there's no
> need for one.
>
> I just wrote out of empathy. As a newcomer to language
> communities (including this one) I've had literally dozens of
> ideas on how they can be improved. All looked great to myself
> at the time, and of them some felt actually unassailably good.
> So good, in fact, that I'd attach a sense of importance to them
> and was convinced that explaining and advertising them well was
> essential, and that opponents didn't really understand their
> advantages. For the most part they were in reality weak ideas
> of a n00b, ideas of greatly overstated merit, and acknowledging
> that has made me better.
>

> Andrei

Maybe this is a weak proposal but I don't know how to realize
that unless I ask the people who oppose it to explain themselves.
  How else will I learn?

My proposal would be a nice feature but like I've said, it's not
a huge deal. There's so many more important things to worry
about.  However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone
to explain why they do or don't like something.  I believe I'm
being pragmatic here.  What's frustrating to me isn't that my
proposal wasn't accepted, its that it was so hard to communicate
over such a simple issue.  It took so much time and everything
had to be said over and over again.

But at least I have a reason why it was rejected.  Now I can tell
people, the leadership in D does not like to have a word be a
function attribute in one place and normal identifier in another
place.  I would like to understand why the leadership does not
want this but since there are more important things, and time is
a finite resource, consider this issue "let go".

Thanks Andrei, I appreciate your input on this.  Now if you can
get that list of high priority issues out so I can know what I
should be working on that would be great!