Window creation, for phobos?

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 28 18:07:24 PST 2015

On Thursday, 29 January 2015 at 01:50:58 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 29/01/2015 2:34 p.m., Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
>> What about that Aurora project? Wasn't that supposed to fill
>> this kind
>> of role?
>
> Window/Context creation is not the same as e.g. a GUI toolkit.
> They are in fact very different.
> A window/context creation library is usually within a GUI
> toolkit but a GUI toolkit is never in a window/context creation
> library.
>
> If I was to compare Devisualization.Window, it would be to glfw.
> We will not be agreeing on a GUI toolkit in the next couple of
> years. That's ok. We should at the very minimal be able to
> agree on how to create a window/context and get most types of
> events.

Aurora is not intended to be a gui as far as I can tell, it is
just a graphics library, it is supposed to include window
creation as well as much more. But not gui. The plan was to build
a gui library on top of it once it was done.

It still seems like a good idea to try to get window creation now
as Aurora could take a very long time to get done(if ever) and
Aurora could use it as well.