Window creation, for phobos?

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 29 01:13:10 PST 2015

On 29/01/2015 9:45 p.m., Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I'm chipping away at a colour module, although I've been distracted
> with work the last little bit.

I see, anything I can help with?

> I'm not convinced that D needs a custom GUI library though. That's a
> behemoth effort.
> I tend to think a quality and well-maintained Qt binding/wrapping
> would be a much more useful tool for us to have.
> It's kind of a de-facto standard for portable gui these days. It will
> also retain interoperability with other existing C/C++ code (of which
> there is much), etc.
> It will also get us mobile UI as a freebie, which is a market we
> really want to get amongst.
> You can't really overlook the man years in Qt, and the maturity of the
> ecosystem.

I agree about Qt. It would be definitely nice to get something like that
on e.g. dub.
I wouldn't call it a freebie for on mobile however. We would still have
to manage binaries ext. outside of D land.

Okay for argument sake completely hypothetical. Lets say I complete
Devisualization.gmaterial.
It uses OpenGL to render. Assuming symbols can be loaded via e.g.
Derelict-GL3 on an Android device this way. The only thing limiting it
is Devisualization.Window with window and context creation.
This will be quite easy to do. Especially with my work with Djvm it
would be very enjoyable experience.
iOS is even easier, its mostly copy paste the OSX implementation and rename.

It would be a bit of work. But it wouldn't be much considering. Now this
I consider a freebie. Considering we could advertise it was purely D
cross platform GUI toolkit with mobile support.

I will say this about Google Material Design, its reasonably simple. I'm
pretty close to getting the main infrastructure completely done. I was
held up on shadows for paper sheets. I have figured out a simple way to
do it however. At least to "fake" them.