How can I help with pull requests if I don't have the authority to merge?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 29 10:20:19 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 01:42:13PM +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> After this thread:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapxxhusoniimfxiefji@forum.dlang.org
>
> I had some time today and headed over to Github to see if I could help
> out.  But I'm not sure what I can do if I don't have the power to
> approve PRs. I'm not asking for that power, I haven't earned it yet.
> I'm just asking what it is I can do to help, especially on PRs that
> already have comments from a bunch of people.
>
> Should I add comments to the ones that don't? Work on my own PRs
> instead?
[...]

You don't need commit privileges to review PR's. We need more eyes to
look at the code that's going into D, a lot more eyes. You can just
leave comments on the PR page, saying that you reviewed it and it looks
good to merge (LGTM), or if you find issues or flaws, point them out.
Similarly if you have an idea of how to improve the PR, suggest it.

Of course, you can't merge the PR unless you have commit privileges, but
generally speaking we're more short of reviewers than committers. We
need all the help we can get!