Google Summer of Code - Again

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 29 20:32:12 PST 2015

It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC
help.

The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code is
fast approaching,
so once again I would like to approach the community for some
assistance. My immediate needs are:

1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
requirement, so I really
need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a little
luck will require
exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.

2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should
we register rather
as dlang.org?

3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be
improved it will
need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted on
the Announce list:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk@forum.dlang.org

This might be a good starting point for a student project, if the
developer of
this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been able
to get a hold of
him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.

4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  In
particular I
wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what
students should
know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly well
filled out,
others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:

http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas

5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for
mentors. It can
be seen here:

http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors

If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  I've
dug up stuff
off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it would
be nice if folks
could edit their own.

6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If
you are working
on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a
student could help you (and you could help
them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we
end up
dropping QML.

7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to
evaluate the student
proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers for
that duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might
be biased, so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.