Google Summer of Code - Again

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 29 20:37:05 PST 2015

On 30/01/2015 5:32 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC help.
>
> The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code is fast
> approaching,
> so once again I would like to approach the community for some
> assistance. My immediate needs are:
>
> 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
> requirement, so I really
> need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a little luck
> will require
> exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.
>

> 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should we
> register rather
> as dlang.org?

Walter? are you ok with it being DigitalMars?

> 3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be improved it
> will
> need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted on the
> Announce list:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk@forum.dlang.org
>
> This might be a good starting point for a student project, if the
> developer of
> this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been able to get
> a hold of
> him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.
>
> 4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  In
> particular I
> wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what students
> should
> know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly well filled out,
> others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas
>

> 5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for mentors. It can
> be seen here:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors
>
> If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  I've dug up
> stuff
> off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it would be nice
> if folks
> could edit their own.
>
> 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If you are
> working
> on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a student
> could help you (and you could help
> them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we end up
> dropping QML.

Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in phobos.
We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color
definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes.
Also could be useful is cross platform sound output.
Printing?

> 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to evaluate the
> student
> proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers for that
> duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might be biased,
> so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.

Count me in.