Google Summer of Code - Again

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 30 06:24:45 PST 2015

On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 30/01/2015 5:32 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:

clip

>> 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If
>> you are
>> working
>> on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a
>> student
>> could help you (and you could help
>> them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if
>> we end up
>> dropping QML.
>
> Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation
> library in phobos.
> We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires
> color definition so it might be included depending on how Manu
> goes.
> Also could be useful is cross platform sound output.
> Printing?

Hey, you are already doing web development!  Do you not sleep or
something?

I think for GSOC we need to have projects that are at least up
and running, and provide them with something to work off of.
This effort (Window Creation/Image Library) stills seems very
much in the 'conception' phase, and my personal feeling is that
until the exact goals are fleshed out a bit more it would be a
shaky platform for a GSOC project.

There is the following project however:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/szqsscsvcbpjjeelkpve@forum.dlang.org

How is that related to what you are proposing?  Maybe Vadim could
be enticed to sign up as a mentor?

>> 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to
>> evaluate the
>> student
>> proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers
>> for that
>> duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might be
>> biased,
>> so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
>
> Count me in.

Great. If our application is accepted you will be the first on my
'Evaluation Committee' list.