[website redesign] PR for the one with the big red menu bar

Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 30 10:43:18 PST 2015

On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 16:36:10 UTC, ixid wrote:
> I think the logo would look nicer without the light effect
> crescent that goes all the way across.

I always thought this "light effect crescent", also present in
the old logo, was meant to represent the contour of the planet
Mars. I think it is part of the signature and that we should try
to keep it. Likewise I see the "clouds" in the old logo as
representing Martian atmosphere.

The new logo I think is an improvement over the old one because
not only is it clearer (fewer ornaments) it also enhances the
Mars image: widening the horizon and an increased aspect ratio
gives a cinematic view of the D, suspended in weightlessness, in
alignment with the two moons. Increasing the distance from the D
to the edges of the logo (where does it end?) compared to the
classic logo (which now looks cramped) actually strengthens the
focus on it: it is the only thing there. Loosing the clouds also
enhances this outer space impression. Like when carefully homing
in on a space station after a long interplanetary flight.

So, in my eyes this enhancement of the logo has been done in all
the right ways considering proportions, focus, signature
features, recognisability and the strength of the impression it
leaves.

Walter, I know you like [1] the current version of the logo for
all the features that are removed here. Maybe the above helps a
bit to see the ups of this version :)

[1]
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/853#issuecomment-71565627

Bastiaan.