Google Summer of Code - Again

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 30 14:34:21 PST 2015

On 31/01/2015 3:30 a.m., Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 14:24:46 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
>> On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>>> Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in
>>> phobos.
>>> We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color
>>> definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes.
>>> Also could be useful is cross platform sound output.
>>> Printing?
>>
>> Hey, you are already doing web development!  Do you not sleep or
>> something?
>
> lol, he might be just about as crazy as me... I've already written all
> that. In here:
>
> http://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd
>
> there's the web stuff, simpledisplay.d is a window lib, color.d
> (especially plus png.d and bmp.d) is a basic image thing, and
> simpleaudio.d does cross platform sound.
>

> I'm not sure any of my stuff would pass the phobos bar, but it all works
> well for a lot of things I've done. minigui.d builds off simpledisplay.d
> to do some gui widgets (still needs a lot of work though), and I'm
> working on doing some games with it too (simpledisplay.d can make a
> opengl context easily).

I don't think my image library would pass it either. But windowing yes
definitely. Hence why I'm saying we will most likely need a new image
library for phobos.

Although in saying this, it might be worth my time at some point to
invest in major refactoring and improvements to your sound module. Push
it out as Devisualization.sound or something.
Then again that would mean file formats like mp3 loading/saving would be
needed. Suddenly just the graphical stuff seems hard enough.