Window creation, for phobos?

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 31 02:49:13 PST 2015

On Thursday, 29 January 2015 at 11:17:32 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 22:05:02 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
> wrote:
>> I have dream! A dream, dream dream. A dream to see GUI's easy
>> to use in D! I must admit it will be hard, but it's time.
>> Prime time I mean!
>>
>> Now enough gabble.
>> I'm proposing to get Devisualization.Window PR'd into phobos.
>
> I would love to see some facilities in D for GUI development,
> but I'm not sure about window creation.  Is the concept of a
> *window* even that platform agnostic?  I thought that was
> mostly a desktop metaphor.
>
> There are a few fundamental packages related to this domain
> that I think would fit nicely into Phobos, and could
> potentially plant a few seeds in this community that might spur
> exponential growth.
>
> 1. Color package

ae graphics module has that, in a mostly untyped way. I like that.

> 2. 2d/3d geometry package

There are many, and they are already decoupled from images. I
don't see why it's related.

> 3. Frame buffer package (Does OpenGL/DirectX make this
> obsolete?)

ae graphics module has a rich "CPU frame-buffer" package. I
haven't seen a better proposal, only things that rely on one
data-type or use virtual functions.

> 4. Imaging package

It's trivial to write image loaders against ae graphics module.
Also font rasterizers, image resamplers, etc.

> 5. Vector graphics package
> 6. SVG package

I'd _love_ to have those too.
But, again, ae graphics module show us how to write anti-aliased
drawing primitive already (line, circle, ellipses...). Writing a
vector renderer is a matter of extending these capabilities.

> 7. Perhaps some kind of an input package
This belong to a windowing library and should be decoupled from
the imaging library as far as possible.
You can't have "windowing library X require image abstraction Y".