Mars Drafting Library - Official community driven library

Piotrek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 31 15:03:51 PST 2015

On Saturday, 31 January 2015 at 20:34:32 UTC, Zach the Mystic
wrote:

> The most important thing about a standard library is
> decisiveness in the leadership about what *kinds* of things
> should be in it. When it's been made clear that a given task is
> worthy of inclusion in the standard library, there will be
> enough incentive for contributors to put in the time and effort
> required to meet its high standards.

The intention of creating draft modules would be the inclusion in
Phobos.
In simplistic way, the following stages of development will be
applied:

1. Proposal (DIP, NG discussion, DUB package showcase, local
meet-up events etc)
2. Draft module creation and development
3  Approval for Phobos merge, i.e. "draft" -> "std"

> But there are so many tasks that aren't quite up to that bar,
> either because they serve too specific a niche, or because
> there are two or more good, but conflicting ways to implement
> solutions, and no good way to decide between them.
>
> For any such task that doesn't meet those high standards, the
> library's development is best left to the community. But there
> is a place for the official recognition of existing libraries
> which have reached a level of quality that can be safely
> recommended. This is what is currently missing.

To be clear. I treat current DMD and Phobos library development
as community driven as well. The reason, the title includes
"community driven" is that modules can't be made by independent
developer, i.e. without community approval. As an example DUB
packages don't fulfill this requirement.

> This is more of a "second-party" library system, for which idea
> I am indebted to this article:
> http://www.jfbillingsley.com/blog/?p=206
>
> Suggestions for implementation?

I briefly read the article and some parts are similar. However
the difference is that Curiosity/Mars would form some kind of
trinity with Druntime and Phobos. See also my answer to
weaselcat's post
(http://forum.dlang.org/post/mtqjtavxzjucixuycnlf@forum.dlang.org).

Piotrek