Convert std.random to a package

HaraldZealot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 1 22:21:50 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 24 June 2015 at 14:16:04 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 June 2015 at 12:15:10 UTC, Joseph Rushton
> Wakeling wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> As I promised at DConf (though sadly arriving a bit later than
>> I'd hoped), I've submitted a PR to convert std.random to a
>> package:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3406
>>
>> I'd like to ask for some attention to this because, first, I
>> think it's important that we agree that this particular
>> package structure is correct/logical, and second, I really
>> don't want to have to rework this if anyone commits to
>> std.random in the meanwhile ;-)
>>
>> Beyond perhaps documentation issues I hope this PR should be
>> fairly non-controversial and easy to approve (or disapprove).
>
> Is there any point in doing this if we're going to be
> redesigning std.random as you've been working on? In fact, it
> could get in the way of that, since we could potentially just
> make the new version be modules in the package, and the old
> version be in std.random.package (meaning that if you imported
> std.random, you get the old, deprecated stuff, and if you
> import std.random.foo, you get the new stuff).
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Please not such way. Idea with package 'experimental' and
'deprecated' looks like more preferable.

(This idea was discussed in std.container fork. For example new
random API go to std.experimental.random all old API remain in
std.random, when stable state of new API was approved that
renaming happens: std.random -> std.deprecated.random and in next
DMD/Phobos release std.experimental.random -> std.random. Also
were good provide with new release tool that autofix stuff like
this)