version: multiple conditions

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 2 23:11:49 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 2 July 2015 at 14:42:10 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> that's why my hashtables supports alot of types, including
> ints, strings, structs and inlined? hm...

Hashing isn't type-dependent. You can't really do it well in C
with things like extensible physics and sound synthesis.

>> People write core libraries in C++. Why they do it is not the
>> main point, but they actually have good reasons to choose C++
>> over C no matter what C-wizzkids with C++-allergies claim…
>> ;^]
>
> yes. the main reason is "let's prevent using our library in any
> sane language!"

Nah, it's more like "let's solve this in a language where this
can be done in a convenient manner and will be used by many
people".

As for D... I'm not really sure if D can get good C++ interop
without changing language semantics. A 75% solution isn't really
good enough to cover libraries that rely heavily on template
composition.