DUB 0.9.24 beta 2

Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 3 12:05:34 PDT 2015

> It was a close decision, but the implementation is pretty simple and
> relatively well covered with tests, it shouldn't be an issue. So the only
> remaining issues would be possible compatibility issues for people not
> running the latest version (not *really* an issue) and the risk that the
> format, against all previous consideration, is deemed unsuited in the end
> (which would be really bad anyway).
>
> What worries you the most?

I'm just not comfortable making a format basically nobody knows, which was
introduced less than a month ago as "an additive change", which isn't as
well documented and indexed as the json one is (
http://code.dlang.org/package-format) the default.
In addition the likeliness that few bugs will arise doesn't mean that none
will, and I'd take a used-over-the-years solution over something just
implemented any day.
`dub init` is likely to be the first thing a beginner will want to do as
soon as (s)he learns about code.dlang.org, and event if it's still possible
to use json, it's not well documented / known yet, so I don't see a clear
return on investment on this change, while I can clearly see a net loss.

Obviously I'm not saying the format is not suitable, but I'd like to give
it more time to mature.