Initial feedback for std.experimental.image

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 6 20:51:13 PDT 2015

On 7/07/2015 2:28 p.m., ketmar wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:16:30 +0000, Baz wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 6 July 2015 at 13:48:53 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>>> So as part of my testing of std.experimental.color I began writing an
>>> image ala ae.graphics style.
>>> It's now ready for very initial feedback.
>>
>> I don't see some things that immediatly come to my mind as "usefull"
>> when i think to the image class as it's been done elsewhere.
>>
>> - Resampling API ?
>>
>>    e.g the old trick to get AA: draw on double sized image canvas
>> and resample to halh using an interpolator.
>>
>> image.loadFromFile(...);
>> image.resize(horzRatio, vertRatio, Resampler.linear);
>> image.saveToFile(...);
>>
>> - Canvas API ?
>>
>> myImage.canvas.pen.color = RGBA!ubyte(...);
>> myImage.canvas.fillRect(...);
>> etc.
>>
>> needed to programmatically generate an image.
>
> i believe this is out of scope of the library. that is exactly the things
> that should be build latter with image library as foundation.

Resizing the likes suggested are manipulation functions. Not out of
scope, I most likely will not be implementing them.
My goal is only to do the simpler image manipulation functions as I
would have to implement them twice each. One to work with ranges the
other to whole sale modify the image to be that way and may allocate in
the process.

Canvas is definitely and 100% out of scope however. It's a great idea
and something we need long term. Just not something I can do right now.
Also need to add that to specification document as a follow on work and
out of scope.