Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 8 17:11:16 PDT 2015

> On Tuesday, 7 July 2015 at 22:22:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> Apparently Walter was opposed to using List, as that would somehow imply "linked
>>> list".
>>
>> I opposed it because lists are not indexable, and tuples are.
>
> Linked lists are not indexable, but the term list doesn't necessarily imply that
> it's a linked list.

It does to me, and in common programming usage "list" is often said instead of
"linked list".

> As for Seq, it's kind of ugly, but if understand that it's Sequence, I think
> that that fits well enough. Personally, I'd prefer List over Seq, but if you're
> vetoing List, then I don't know what else we're going to go with. _Nothing_ fits
> perfectly. TypeTuple/AliasSeq/Whatever is just too unique and too much of a
> hodgepodge for any name to really well.

Which is why I simply picked the name Arguments. The s suffix means plural, and
doesn't give any preconceived notion about what kind of collection it is. It's a
convention I've been using in the dmd source for some time now, and have found
it to be natural and pleasing.