Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 8 20:31:40 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 9 July 2015 at 02:58:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On Thursday, 9 July 2015 at 00:11:17 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Which is why I simply picked the name Arguments. The s suffix
>>> means plural,
>>> and doesn't give any preconceived notion about what kind of
>>> collection it is.
>>> It's a convention I've been using in the dmd source for some
>>> time now, and
>>> have found it to be natural and pleasing.
>>
>> Instead, it gives the idea that they're used specifically for
>> arguments, which
>> they aren't. They get used for a variety of things. Also, the
>> term Arguments is
>> going to be really confusing - just like talking about
>> std.container.Array gets
>> confusing, because the term array is already used for other
>> stuff, and it's
>> never clear what folks are talking about unless they get
>> specific. At least when
>> you use the term TypeTuple, everyone knows what you mean, even
>> if it's a sucky
>> name. Going with something like Arguments or Parameters or
>> Aliases is just going
>> to breed confusion.
>
> What about the 's' suffix?

It might work in a situation where the main word is clearly
unique, but when you're talking about something like Argument or
Alias, adding an s on the end does not help at all. It's far too
easy to confuse it with other concepts in the language that have
the same name, whereas putting something like List on the end
wouldn't have that problem - e.g. no one is going to confuse
AliasList for anything else, but if we had Aliases, it would be
really easy to think that someone was referring to aliases like
this

alias foo = bar;

and misunderstand what they were talking about - especially in
verbal conversations.

- Jonathan M Davis