Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 9 14:04:24 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 9 July 2015 at 20:57:54 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 July 2015 at 19:19:42 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 7/9/2015 12:56 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>>> Several of which actually use linked list for list and
>>> probably shouldn't
>>> provide random access.
>>
>> Yes. Consider:
>>
>>     for (int i = 0; i < list.length; ++i)
>>           sum += list[i];
>>
>> If indexing was allowed on a list, this would seem like
>> perfectly reasonable code.
>
> In many languages that is perfectly reasonable because list
> does not equal linked list. Its almost as if a list is an
> abstract concept and does not mean any one definite data
> structure, hmmm who wuda thunk that...

It's definitely true that the term list does not denote a
particular data structure in computer science, so I disagree with
Walter's reticence to use the term list with AliasList, but it's
also true that some languages and libraries have stupidly put
indexing on a linked list, which is what deadalnix was
complaining about.

- Jonathan M Davis