Implement the "unum" representation in D ?

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 11 20:52:30 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 11 July 2015 at 03:02:24 UTC, Nick B wrote:

> FYI
>
> John Gustafson book is now out:

I was just thinking about overflow (more for my own interest than
a practical reason). I wouldn't have known about this way to deal
with it if you hadn't bumped this thread. So thanks, it's
interesting (not sure if this book will adequately address
Walter's original concern that it won't really reduce power
consumption). I also found the discussion of rational numbers
earlier in the thread interesting.

When I was looking at other ways to handle overflow, I learned
about a change they made to Python circa 2.3 or 2.4 to handle
overflow (PEP237). Basically, they take an approach described in
the presentation in the original post that will cast an int to a
long if there is an overflow.