Support for 2.064.2

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 12 08:27:43 PDT 2015

On 07/12/2015 09:50 AM, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Out of curiosity, how many projects are still supporting D 2.064.2
> compiler/runtime?  Granted that this is the version shipped in the current
> Debian Stable and  Ubuntu LTS (which will be supported until 2020).
>
> I'm both interested in how much willingness, and how much awareness there
> are around maintaining versions that are shipped with an OS whose combined
> market share potentially make up for 50% of all Linux Servers.

Dunno about Ubuntu, but anyone who uses Debian Stable without pretty
much *expecting* everything in the repos to be two years behind (and
therefore needing to occasionally install things manually) is begging
for a very rude awakening.

Besides, manually grabbing an up-to-date DMD is trivial. And then
there's DVM, too.

I do very much prefer to support DMDs as far back as I can in my
projects, and I generally try to, but I often hit situations where
continuing to support an older DMD (even a mere two versions behind)
just isn't realistic. (And it becomes even more unrealistic when
balanced against the ease of manually grabbing a newer DMD and spending
merely a few minutes - if any - updating a codebase.)

Currently, 2.066.1 is the oldest I'm able to support in the latest
versions of my projects.