Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 12 10:54:00 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 12:32:32 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 12:14:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Yet, D is currently not in a strong position for mobile apps
>> or web servers.
>
> Mobile apps: I agree.
>
> Web servers: Why not?

Mostly because there is no real visible direction towards making
D a competitor that directly addresses specific needs of web
programming.

For Go it is all about frameworks, low latency GC, integration
with Cloud and fast edit/compile/run cycle. Take a look at the
curated awesome list for Go and you get the idea how the eco
system is expanding:

https://github.com/avelino/awesome-go

Rust as a web-service language it is incidental, but IMO strongly
related to linear typing/the memory model which allows you to
avoid memory leaks on long running processes. The profile of the
Rust eco system is a little different:

https://github.com/kud1ing/awesome-rust

I think there might be very little overlap between projects
choosing between Go and Rust for web services. Want fast and low
memory usage, use Rust. Want nippy,  easy memory management and a
webish eco system, use Go.

With D, we are somewhere in the middle. A GC that hogs all
processes are not ok, and without it you don't get Go's
convenience, but also not Rusts linear typing guarantees.

I think it is about time D makes a commitment towards at least
one application domain. It is important that  D can be really
good a solving problems within at least one sizeable domain in
order to be a "noticeable language".

> succeed. Compared to mobile and desktop, server-side
> integration should be easy for D since (at least for Linux
> servers) most the important integration points are through C
> APIs, which D supports well. Server side is generally more
> forgiving to new technology since it is generally all open
> source, and there aren't really any hoops to jump through.

Yes, I agree that Linux servers might be a good target.