Where will D sit in the web service space?

Etienne Cimon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 12 14:20:20 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 21:13:35 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 20:36:26 UTC, Etienne Cimom wrote:
>> backend being a natively compiled service in the computer.
>> With a 2 megabytes packed PE that is. It may not seem useful,
>> but to me it's revolutionary.
>
> What is "PE"?

The idea here is a portable executable (PE), in vibe.d, as a
service with daemonize, that compiles packed to < 2MB with TLS
and a single TCP link using HTTP/2.

I haven't tried Golang but I'm sure if I did it would be a close
call. The lack of template meta-programming / generics makes it
much less convenient to use though, so it's no go for me :) C++
could also do it if a framework existed for it, but even then,
the language isn't as safe/convenient. So, I guess D wins here
where a simple dub build with the right packages will dump a nice
executable with everything you need for a desktop webUI
application.