Where will D sit in the web service space?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 00:32:55 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 July 2015 at 07:11:35 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 19:02:23 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
>> I'd consider D a failure if it couldn't fill both of these
>> roles. D is a general purpose systems programming language. It
>> doesn't and shouldn't care about what you are using it for.
>> There is plenty of overlap in what you need for high
>> performance web backends and high performance gamedev.
>
> Here's the deal: there is no such thing as a general purpose
> (system) language in the empirical sense. We might have been
> lead to believe that C or C++ were general purpose, but that
> only happend because there were no visible viable alternatives.
> C is more and more becoming a kernel/embedded language, C++ is
> more and more becoming a legacy/niche language. C++ is only a
> game dev language after you add various extensions (e.g. simd).
> It is only a number-crunching language after you add some other
> extensions. So you need a direction in the feature set towards
> an application area.
>
> When you get new languages that cut down on development time
> (like Rust and Go) the C/C++ application domain will leak over
> to those niches based on the desired feature set. But the
> feature set needs to be complete for that application area
> (e.g. GC with the right characteristics, inlining/simd, GPU
> programming etc).
>
> D needs to complete the feature set for some sizeable domain in
> order to compete in this emerging market of "many languages"
> (thanks to LLVM).

The reason I am become silent is that I came to realize my posts
between compilations and commuting, just had noise with no value.
As none of our
customers would use D over their current languages. Don't want to
discuss
why, this is not a flame war post.

And for dabbling/private gigs outside work, my focus has switched
to ML like languages, given that they are finally starting to be
used in the industry.

Regarding D, there needs to be a story to be sold (e.g Docker,
Rails, next Firefox,iOS, Android, WP...) why the language matters.

On my little world, customers choose programming languages
because they want to
use tool X, framework Y or target operating system Z.

So which tool will make them choose D?

Check the languages Microsoft considered important to offer
support out of the box,

https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/languages

Sorry for the noise,
Paulo