Where will D sit in the web service space?

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 02:00:27 PDT 2015

On 12-Jul-2015 15:14, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> I've been thinking a bit about where languages fit in the web service
> space. Both mobile app and web services are likely candidates for typed
> and efficient languages. I'm not at all happy with the "prolific"
> choices that are available. Yet, D is currently not in a strong position
> for mobile apps or web servers. So what does the competition look like?

[snip]

>   Java, C# and now Go seems to have strong infrastructure advantages
> that makes them difficult targets. They all have integration advantages
> not provided by other languages.
>
> What do you think about the future for D in the web service space?

IMHO D should fit right in between C++/Rust and Java/C# hopefully
pressing both out of their segments eventually. That is D is lighter on
resources and has greater control then C#/Java will ever have. And it's
much much simpler/safer to write system code in D then in C++.

So at start D should aim to save people that can't do the thing in say
Java but are really not looking forward to write it in C/C++.

Still D lacks stable and scalable Web Application server and any
standard model for web applications (and frameworks) to follow. Be it "D
Servlet" spec a-la Java or more simple like WSGI in Python/Perl/etc. it
needs to be there.

Even if vibe.d might become that app server, the problem with D servlet
spec missing is very real.

--
Dmitry Olshansky