Where will D sit in the web service space?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 02:53:33 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 00:48 +1200, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> Controversial part: D is not very pleasant to write web services in
> currently.
> BUT: I also do not consider any language/framework to fully hit the
> nail
> on the head. Although ruby on rails has some pretty neat ideas.
>
> Currently I believe a D web server/front end for web service
> framework
> should be an web application server not a plain old web server.
> The model for web servers is odd for D I think.
>
> We have great potential here with web applications.
> I personally have plans here but ugh, lets just say last night I
> started
> to rewrite my webserver and I'm now writing bindings for XED (x86
> encoding/decoding). Turns out, I kinda want a LISPy style
> configuration
> language *shrugs*.

Depending on what Web Services mean… most people I meet up with are
either using Go or Python with Flask or Django to receive and deliver
up JSON in RESTful style. This maybe just indicates something about me
rather than Web services.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk