Where will D sit in the web service space?

ChangLong via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 04:42:09 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 July 2015 at 10:12:33 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
> On Mon 13/07/2015 06:29, ChangLong wrote:
>> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 12:14:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
> -snip-
>>> What do you think about the future for D in the web service
>>> space?
>>

>> I has use vibe.d for a small project recently,  after finish
>> that I
>> think the follow fact will
>> prevent many programmers use vibe.d in commercial projects:
>>
>> 1) Lack of successful open source project for real product
>> 2) Multi thread performance is poor, scalability is not suit
>> for big
>> project
>> 3) No Inversion of Control (aka: Dependency Injection) Concept
>> 4) No mature ORM/ODM components
>> 5) No Form/Validator/Translation/Locale Components
>> 6) No modernize framework
>>
>> Some company has successful story in D use no-GC solution, for
>> example:
>> Sociomantic,  Hedge Fund by Andy Smith,  weka.io...  And they
>> all are
>> close source.
>>
>> There are thousands of web projects in development every day,
>> D is not
>> use as development languages mainly because D is not ready yet.
>>

> 2) I have zero experience with going beyond one thread, but as
> far as I understand it multi-threading is not how vibe is
> supposed to scale. Start up another instance will you!
multi instance will help. In my project the vibe.d is slow down
after I open too much task(reptile network analysis).  Maybe
LDC/GDC will help, but compare to nodejs or scale, scalability
still is weakness point for vibe.d.

> 3) It has been work-in-progress for some time now:
> http://vibed.org/features#load-balancing
> Not sure what the status of this is though.
load-balancing has nothing to do with Inversion of Control,
check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_of_control

> 4) Dunno about that..
ORM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping
ODM is like ORM but with non-relation database

> 5) Well, there is this:
> https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/blob/master/source/vibe/utils/validation.d
> and:
> http://vibed.org/docs#web-localization

That is good start.

> 6) What is that?
I mean like expressjs/sailsjs for nodejs,  rails for ruby,
symfony/laravel for php.  vibe.d is not a framework but a
infrastructure

> In my experience, vibe.d is a beautiful alternative to node.js
> and it is not the immaturity of D that is holding it back,
> vibe.d just needs to grow a bit.

Like I said, not ready yet.