Support for 2.064.2

Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 06:58:43 PDT 2015

El 12/07/15 a les 17:27, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d ha escrit:
> On 07/12/2015 09:50 AM, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Out of curiosity, how many projects are still supporting D 2.064.2
>> compiler/runtime?  Granted that this is the version shipped in the current
>> Debian Stable and  Ubuntu LTS (which will be supported until 2020).
>>
>> I'm both interested in how much willingness, and how much awareness there
>> are around maintaining versions that are shipped with an OS whose combined
>> market share potentially make up for 50% of all Linux Servers.
>>

> Dunno about Ubuntu, but anyone who uses Debian Stable without pretty much *expecting* everything in the repos to be two years behind (and therefore needing to occasionally install things manually) is begging for a very rude awakening.
>
> Besides, manually grabbing an up-to-date DMD is trivial. And then there's DVM, too.
>
> I do very much prefer to support DMDs as far back as I can in my projects, and I generally try to, but I often hit situations where continuing to support an older DMD (even a mere two versions behind) just isn't realistic. (And it becomes even more unrealistic when balanced against the ease of manually grabbing a newer DMD and spending merely a few minutes - if any - updating a codebase.)
>
> Currently, 2.066.1 is the oldest I'm able to support in the latest versions of my projects.

A solution should be to add an external repository like "d-apt":
<http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/>

With it, your system will be updated with the lastest dmd release, but if you prefer an older version, you can install it too (only one at a time), take a look on "Installing legacy packages" section.

The "dmd" binaries on <http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/> packages are the same that <http://dlang.org/download.html>.

Regards,
Jordi