Creator of LLVM, Clang, and Swift Says To Not Write Security Critical Code In C/C++

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 14 03:32:34 PDT 2015

Omitted from your comments are any mention of D's language support for purity
and transitive const/immutability and @safe/@trusted/@system. These are critical
for writing robust, encapsulated code. I know of no C++ sanitizers that attempt
to address these.

Also, the Warp project shows that D can be every bit as performant as C++, while
being a lot easier to get there.

And lastly, writing code in C++ does not get you performance. Performance comes
from careful balancing of algorithms, data structures, memory layout, cache
issues, threading, and having intimate knowledge of how your particular compiler
generates code, and then using a profiler.

D provides access to tuning every one of these issues. Anyone familiar with
those issues at the level needed to write performant C++ will also find it
straightforward to avoid performance issues with D and the GC.

Have you used a profiler for your performance critical C++ code? You don't have
to answer, but very, very few C++ programmers do. And I can guarantee you that
those that don't use a profiler are not writing performant code (though they
certainly may believe they are).