Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 14 09:25:27 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 at 15:17:13 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 12:14:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> What do you think about the future for D in the web service
>> space?
>
> What about this question: in 5 years from now what would be the
> reason D failed?

It can't fail as long as Walter is having fun working on the
compiler. :-)

> These come to my mind:
>
> Tooling
> Marketing
> Talent Pool (companies not willing to adopt)

I think neither, but what I have alluded to in this thread. A
lack of decision making regarding picking an application domain
that is large enough to sustain an ecosystem of libraries, and
going 100% for honing the feature set towards that domain.
"Possible" is not good enough.

I don't think Golang would have a chance to sustain adoption
without being vocal about focusing on a low latency GC. Right now
only Java/C# are typed alternatives. That makes Go pretty strong
despite oddities.

I don't think Rust would stand a chance without being very clear
on high level feature set, system level access, single threaded
friendly with safe cross-thread-exchange linear typing memory
model. It "sounds" clean. Only C++ is the perceived alternative.
That's enough to get a surprising number of people to figure out
how to deal with a rather challenging memory model. Not sure if
Rust can sustain it, but hey, they might develop "best practice
patterns" that makes it work...

I think the rest comes when you have the best feature set for a
particular domain and a polished compiler/runtime. So yeah, maybe
Game clients is the best bet, since you don't have to change the
semantics too much (low latency GC and linear typing would take
time to work in) and games benefits from C++/iOS interop. Indie
games have low adoption threshold and could work as marketing.