Creator of LLVM, Clang, and Swift Says To Not Write Security Critical Code In C/C++

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 00:22:34 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 04:39:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Experience. Whenever I work with someone who tells me they
> don't need to profile because they know where their bottlenecks
> are, and I badger them into using a profiler, they turn out to
> be wrong.
>
> 100% of the time.

Well, I don't do batch programming in C++. I only do interactive
applications in C++ and most glitches are usually not about
tuning performance, but about how things interact. Given that
many interactive applications are ~90% idle you can improve
responsiveness to a large extent by doing as little work as
possible in the time critical hand-optimized region and push work
over to the idle region (in the background).

> But that's all beside the point, which is that a programmer who
> is capable of writing top shelf performant programs in C++ can
> match or exceed that using D. All of the low level features of
> C++ are available in D.

I use the GCC extensions/compiler hints… I think many include
those in their C++ usage since Clang also support them. I think D
would be better off by incorporating the same feature set (with a
nicer syntax).