Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Brian Rogoff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 07:10:40 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 11:50:43 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/15/15 4:29 AM, Mike wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 07:50:46 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Good to see another bad name merged in master ^_^
>>
>> Was there a good name suggested that wasn't vetoed by Walter
>> or Andrei?
>
> s/good name/name that I like/

What makes a good name good?

Some people thought 'splat' sounded ridiculous, i.e., they didn't
like it, but its use in PHP, Ruby, and other scripting operators,
where it's really quite similar to its use in D, make it a 'good'
candidate IMO. It doesn't have numerous alternative meanings in
CS, like List/Tuple/Sequence, and its coinage is relatively
recent, so recent that the Wiki entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splat doesn't refer to its use as a
term in programming yet. It's also short.

I liked 'Seq', because it is a bit ambiguous, unlike 'Tuple',
which has the same meaning in many popular languages, but by most
criteria 'Splat' is better.