Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 07:57:33 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 13:04:55 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> Though they are not as demanding interactive as shooters (maybe
> except for realtime interframe, but that's a video playback,
> not an editor). So what's true for shooters may be not true for
> other games. My point is if you care about market adoption you
> should look at numbers and should not overlook sizeable
> targetable parts of the market.

Well, we are just talking about the language feature set, not
that the frameworks should be built into the language.

You have deadlines or you miss frames in graphics, you have
deadlines in audio, you have memory subsystem requirements that
are similar, you also want to tap into the coprocessor (which we
now think of as GPU) for all kinds of application areas: 3D
sculpting, photo editors, audio workstations, photon based
tracers, real time ray tracers, 3D scan browsers… I don't think
shooters are all that special.

I think basically any interactive desktop application that you
cannot do easily in Java is a candidate that could benefit from
the same feature set.