Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 08:28:19 PDT 2015

On 7/15/15 9:32 AM, Deadalnix wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 11:49:46 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 7/15/15 3:50 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Good to see another bad name merged in master ^_^
>>
>> So now we're at AliasTuple? -- Andrei
>
> Please go for splat. It turns out it is used by functional guy, in
> various scripting languages and in the compiler backend communities.
>
> The thing we are trying to name is a splat.

These google searches returned no meaningful results:

splat
splat data structure
splat type
splat computer science

I did find a few relevant results with:

splat functional languages
splat scripting languages

Let's not inflate each new name idea to alleged popularity it doesn't
really enjoy.

> Also, I don't have any veto, but if I had one, tuple would get it. I've
> been hanging around for a while and seen so many being confused by d
> tuples that persisting in that direction would be a religious decision.

For this coming release we've opened the naming to a somewhat democratic
process. Walter and my plan was to let everyone discuss, then approve
the consensus. We jokingly/worriedly remarked that all the cries "but we
have consensus on a different name!" when there existed a perception of
names being imposed will instantly go away. And so it did.

We won't be able to make progress if ten folks have eleven ideas about
what's needed. People, choose AliasSeq, AliasTuple, or whatever the heck
most of us agree upon, but let's just choose once and for good. There
will be no turning back.

Andrei