Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 08:54:16 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 15:28:11 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/15/15 9:32 AM, Deadalnix wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 11:49:46 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> So now we're at AliasTuple? -- Andrei
>>
>> Please go for splat. It turns out it is used by functional
>> guy, in
>> various scripting languages and in the compiler backend
>> communities.
>>
>> The thing we are trying to name is a splat.
>
> These google searches returned no meaningful results:
>
> splat
> splat data structure
> splat type
> splat computer science
>
> I did find a few relevant results with:
>
> splat functional languages
> splat scripting languages
>
> Let's not inflate each new name idea to alleged popularity it
> doesn't really enjoy.

I'm not inflating popularity (you'll have hard time quoting me
doing fo, so please don't. Words have precise meaning).

This is not a popular word because this is not a popular
construct to begin with. Yet this word is used to describe what
we have here.

A newcomer would have either no expectation of what this
construct is because he doesn't know the word (still better than
tuple or list that come with the wrong expectation) or know the
word and know what to expect.

>> Also, I don't have any veto, but if I had one, tuple would get
>> it. I've
>> been hanging around for a while and seen so many being
>> confused by d
>> tuples that persisting in that direction would be a religious
>> decision.
>
> For this coming release we've opened the naming to a somewhat
> democratic process. Walter and my plan was to let everyone
> discuss, then approve the consensus. We jokingly/worriedly
> remarked that all the cries "but we have consensus on a
> different name!" when there existed a perception of names being
> imposed will instantly go away. And so it did.
>
> We won't be able to make progress if ten folks have eleven
> ideas about what's needed. People, choose AliasSeq, AliasTuple,
> or whatever the heck most of us agree upon, but let's just
> choose once and for good. There will be no turning back.
>

> Andrei

That how I ended up with seq in the first place. I went to talk
to everybody and sequence was what came up the most while not
having people as opposed to it as list.

What the majority come up with is different from everyone's first
choice (seq isn't even my first choice). On the other hand, the
recent change looks like a coup.