Where will D sit in the web service space?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 09:54:06 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 14:57:35 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 13:04:55 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> Though they are not as demanding interactive as shooters
>> (maybe except for realtime interframe, but that's a video
>> playback, not an editor). So what's true for shooters may be
>> not true for other games. My point is if you care about market
>> adoption you should look at numbers and should not overlook
>> sizeable targetable parts of the market.
>
> Well, we are just talking about the language feature set, not
> that the frameworks should be built into the language.
>
> You have deadlines or you miss frames in graphics, you have
> deadlines in audio, you have memory subsystem requirements that
> are similar, you also want to tap into the coprocessor (which
> we now think of as GPU) for all kinds of application areas: 3D
> sculpting, photo editors, audio workstations, photon based
> tracers, real time ray tracers, 3D scan browsers… I don't think
> shooters are all that special.
>
> I think basically any interactive desktop application that you
> cannot do easily in Java is a candidate that could benefit from
> the same feature set.

Two examples which I was involved with, but with C#.

One is an application for live visualization of digital
microscopes like these ones.

http://www.leica-microsystems.com/products/digital-microscopes/

WPF application coded in C#, with bits of unsafe for image
processing. C++ and Assembly were used for hot loops, basically
some image filters. Also integration of legacy code from the
previous Win32 generation of the software, which was being
progressively replaced by C# code.

Another is an application for processing data for biologic
measurements and controlling the robots performing the experiment.

https://www.thermoscientific.com/en/products/laboratory-robotics.html

C++ was only used at the lowest level in the robot drivers and
their firmware.

Both links are just examples, my NDAs prevent me to say which
products were really used, they are just examples of two fields
with resource constraints that have been slowly moving to GC
languages for their work.

Assembly, C++ and C are being pushed down the stack to the hot
paths that cannot be optimized any further by doing all sorts of
tricks at C# level or driver related work.

--
Paulo