Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 15 17:49:28 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 7 July 2015 at 21:15:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> What happened? Why are we replacing a crappy term with another
> crappy term?

Here's my interpretation of the current state of this as I read
this thread
1. "AliasSeq" is no good as evident from the first post that
started this thread
2. "AliasList" draws veto from decision makers due to list
semantics in C++
3. "AliasTuple" draws both support and disdain, but at least
there's some support.  Also, I volunteered to wordsmith the
documentation on this, and I found myself a little dumbstruck
yesterday trying to explain it.
4. "AliasSplat" uses a frivolous and slang term for the asterisk
operator so is hard to take seriously, and like the other
suggestions will require explanation.
5. "Arguments" isn't bad IMO, but it seems to draw disdain due to
the fact that the construct in question may or may not be used
for template arguments.

So, my asbestos underwear is on, and I ask if there is any
support for the "CompileTimeEntityList".  I know it contains the
'L'-word, so if you prefer consider "CompileTimeEntities".  If
the length bothers you, then consider "CTEList" (could also be
interpreted as Compile-time element list, I suppose).

I have one other suggestion, but I'd like to see how this goes
first.  Given the current state of things, it appears that
remaining silent or voicing disapproval without a viable
suggestion is an implicit vote for "AliasTuple".

Mike