Wait, what? What is AliasSeq? - `Pack` Proposal

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 00:30:17 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 05:51:01 UTC, Mike wrote:

>> C++ also have related use of the word "pack":
>>
>> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/parameter_pack
>
> I propose simply "Pack".

I know Ola is making light of this situation and many of you find
this discussion beneath you, but we need a name, and with the
release looming we need it relatively soon.

I've creating a pull request for "Pack"
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3494)
which is inspired by C++'s parameter_pack as linked in the

 From the description:
"A template parameter pack is a template parameter that accepts
zero or more template arguments (non-types, types, or templates).
A function parameter pack is a function parameter that accepts
zero or more function arguments.
A template with at least one parameter pack is called a variadic
template."

Given that that D has its roots in C++ and this construct is
similar to the one in question, it seems like a good fit.

I prefer `Pack` over `AliasPack` or other variations because it's
more general and allows us to be more specific in the future with
`TypePack`, `ExpressionPack`, `AliasPack`, etc... later, but I'll
be happy to change it if that's what you all wish.

Ultimately, though, it's going to be a judgment call, and I hope
having a pull request ready to go makes things easier on those
who have to make the call.  If it doesn't work, you know where
the close button is.

Mike