Wait, what? What is AliasSeq? - `Pack` Proposal

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 01:11:11 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 07:30:19 UTC, Mike wrote:
> I know Ola is making light of this situation and many of you
> find this discussion beneath you, but we need a name, and with
> the release looming we need it relatively soon.

Naming is difficult, but "list" and "pack" (alluding to
unpacking) are the most accurate terms.

But you need a general term that covers both types and
values/expressions... I don't know of one. "alias" is not an
abstraction but more like an action that binds something. Maybe
something like "mixed"…

Just "Pack" would be confusing... Sounds like a verb and I
wouldn't understand it without looking it up in the docs. You
need a word before "pack".

These I would be able to infer from context:

"MixedList"
"CompileTimeList"
"CTList"
"AliasList"
"AliasPack"
"ParamPack"
"ArgPack"
"Parameters"
"Arguments"

> Given that that D has its roots in C++ and this construct is
> similar to the one in question, it seems like a good fit.

Yes, if C++ integration is going to big thing for D, it sounds
reasonable to use similar terminology. Searching on
cppreference.com is useful.