Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 01:22:52 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 08:00:43 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
> My point is that there is no type in Ruby that is inherently
> "splatty", rather it's the operator that produces this
> behaviour. Therefore, "splat" is not used as a noun to signify
> such a type.

Yes, please forget about the tongue-in-cheek slang-term "splat".
That's for kids!

"splat" is just slang for "asterisk"-something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk

«In Commodore (and related) filesystems, an asterisk appearing
next to a filename in a directory listing denotes an improperly
closed file, commonly called a "splat file."»

«Certain categories of character types in role-playing games are
called splats, and the game supplements describing them are
called splatbooks. This usage originated with the shorthand
"*book" for this type of supplement[…]»

«In many MUDs and MOOs, as well as "male", "female", and other
more esoteric genders, there is a gender called "splat", which
uses an asterisk to replace the letters that differ in standard
English gender pronouns. For example, h* is used rather than him
or her.»

You might as well call it "AliasGoo".