Where will D sit in the web service space?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 06:17:42 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 11:08:52 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 11:00:19 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
>> Well, there are lots of Geometry Wars clones in XNA and LibGDX.
>>
>> As for Vulkan, I have the strong feeling it is DOA, with
>> Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft favoring they own APIs.
>
> Sure, if they can convince the major graphics vendors to care
> about their proprietary vendor lock-in crap. The only one of
> those that will exist in 5 years is probably DirectX.
>
> Intel, AMD, and Valve are heavily invested in Vulkan. It will
> definitely not be DOA.

Apple has officially dropped OpenGL support at WWDC, if you care
to watch the presentations and early release documentation.

On those presentations OpenGL has referred as backward
compatibility only.

All the Mac OS X and iOS frameworks that used OpenGL, now have a
Metal layer.

They might change their mind and surprise the world, but that is
how things stand.

In the console market, no one cares about OpenGL. Sony [0],
Nintendo, Microsoft and even Sega, never cared for it.

So who cares if Intel, AMD, and Valve are heavily invested in
Vulkan?

The platform vendors that matter to games developers are not.

[0] OpenGL ES 1.0 on the PS 3 wasn't really that usable, everyone
went native PS3 instead.