Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 06:34:30 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 12:44:22 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> Personally, I've dealt with perl, ruby, python, java, and php
> in the web space and as far as I'm concerned they're all
> unmaintainable trash.  (perl, ironically, gave me the best
> experience of the five!)

What advantage can perl possibly have over Python? I ditched perl
over 10 years ago and never looked back.

> If I ever decide I'm masochistic enough to attempt something in
> that vein again, D is at least as strong a contender for me
> because it offers fast iteration, solid performance, and a type
> system that doesn't make me want to punch small animals.

Well, the development-server-framework I use reload automatically
whenever I save a file, so I am for now happy with iteration
speed as I don't perceive any delays worth thinking about.

With PyCharm I also get debugger/web server integration and the
PyCharm background-sanitizer gets pretty close to having static
typing actually. Impressive for a dynamic language! Wish I had
picked it up earlier!

If you go node.js, you get static typing with typescript if you
want + same language on the browser, debuggable.

If you go Dart you get static typing if you want  + same language
the browser, debuggable.

But in terms of programmer-productivity I think Python is hard to
match in the webspace (for a wide range of reasons).

So I think you need to look at what exists _TODAY_ in the
webspace, not what you used >3 years ago. That's history.

> Go and Rust, for all their "theoretical superiority" in one
> place or another, _don't feel good_.  Go is to C what Plan 9 is
> to Unix, which is to say it's a thoroughly unimaginitive,
> ideologically hampered, overly-conservative iteration from Rob
> Pike.  Rust might be intriguing if it ever catches up to D in
> being pleasant to use.

I haven't used Go or Rust fulltime for the amount of time needed
to get fully familiar with them (I guess that would take me 1-2
months fulltime or so).

So I can't really say whether what I feel as "oddities" now will
persist. I felt that Cs syntax was odd too, when I came to it
from Pascal/asm.

So I am more concerned about the feature set, my brain can
usually get around "unusual" choices if there is syntactical and
semantic consistency.