Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 09:58:44 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 16:37:44 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> However if you watch "Graphics and Games" talks
>
> https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/
>
> It is all about Metal support, OpenGL being replaced by Metal
> and OpenGL being available for the iDevices that aren't Metal
> capable, as well as, backwards compatibility.

Thanks, I am interested in this. Do you remember which one of the
nine videos?

> From money point of view, I don't think it makes sense to spend
> one year paying developers to port Metal to OSX, replace OpenGL
> in OS X/iOS frameworks and developer tools, for doing the same
> again when Vulkan comes out.

But they don't pay as much for the Vulkan drivers... GPU vendors
write them anyway.

I think I found out why Metal is coming for OSX now and not
earlier. Apparently the programming model used in Metal is
targeting hardware from 2012 or newer.