Phobos: test suite

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 10:32:01 PDT 2015

On 7/16/2015 4:39 AM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> I do not believe this issue has been raised yet.
> But for std.experimental.image (or at least to my intention) I will be needing a
> test suite for e.g. PNG file format loader/exporter.
>
> To my knowledge we currently only support unittests for Phobos. What I need
> structure wise is similar to dmd's testsuite.
>
> I do not know nor want to get into setting this up.
>
> For example the PNG file format it should really be tested using separate
> programs to compare against load/export/load for the files[0].
> This is quite crucial to ensure the correctness of the loader/exporter. It will
> help prevent and detect many bugs.
>
> So, would anybody like to get a head start on it?
>
> [0] http://www.schaik.com/pngsuite/

I haven't looked at your code, but for an image file reader, the D way is to
separate file handling code from image handling code. This means that the image
code can be tested not by handing it a file name, but handing it the data that
can be inlined in a D source code file.

This makes testing much more straightforward.