Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 10:36:18 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 17:10:57 UTC, Deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 05:44:29 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Oh, here is one more term you can consider:
>>
>> "AliasPack"
>>
>> In Python "splatting" is called "unpacking" ("splat" refers to
>> the visual impression of the "*" operator and is
>> inappropriate).
>>
>> C++ also have related use of the word "pack":
>>
>> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/parameter_pack
>>
>> So in C++ all of the terms "list", "sequence" and "pack" can
>> be used about parameter lists… but "list" is the general term:
>> argument list, parameter list, initializer list etc…
>
> Pack was my first choice, but it did seem to stick amongst the
> community when I asked around. I'd be happy with pack.

FWIW, just like "Nat" often is used to denote natural numbers,
"Seq" is often used in formalizations of sequences, e.g. stuff
that falls under this definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence#Formal_definition

So "AliasSeq" is counter-intuitive to me, it does not fit with
any use of the term "Seq" I have been in touch with...

Basically, to me "Seq" represent series of values, not
"configurations".