Where will D sit in the web service space?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 18 03:29:19 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 08:17:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 02:45:54 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Friday, 17 July 2015 at 12:06:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>> For what domain is D the best choice?
>>
>> You are switching the question without recognizing this - some
>> kind of fallacy of composition.
>
> There is no fallacy here.

We are each entitled to our judgement about whether D being in
some Platonic sense the best single option for an entire domain
has much to do with whether it is practicably speaking a sensible
choice made by commercially pragmatic people operating within a
certain set of uses.  We are entitled to our views about the
usefulness of thinking in terms of global optimality amidst
uncertainty and local constraints.  I shall not say more as there
are diminishing returns to what is generative.

> You cannot compete until you have something that is the best
> possible starting point for a range of commercially- or
> community-backed frameworks.
>
> You don't have growth until you have clearly increasing
> presence on Github and StackOverflow.

We are each of us entitled to our judgement about whether it's
healthy to think in that way, and whether it leads to an accurate
understanding of reality to do so.  The propensity to put things
on github and for people to ask questions on stackoverflow varies
according to the problem domain.  In web development, it's common
to open-source things and to ask questions on stackoverflow.  In
some other sectors I am familiar with that have a decent share of
technology spending overall it's rather less common, and this is
not a capricious cultural trait but is the result of the
application of common sense by commercial people.  Liquidity
tends to concentrate in certain places - for D, I wouldn't
suggest anyone goes to stackoverflow if they want a good and
quick answer to their question.  It's healthy that liquidity is
concentrated.

> Large scale batch-processing cannot drive adoption. Specialized
> solutions like Chapel and C++/extensions will take the
> batch-throughput market.

I didn't say anything about batch processing.  It's also very
intriguing to see you believe you know my problem domain better
than me.

>> The work of Austrian economists on entrepreneurship
>> demonstrate that it simply is not possible to know which
>> people will use a product and how.  The future is unknown, if
>> not unimaginable.
>
> It isn't. The historical success-stories within the domain of
> programming languages are pretty clear.

And there has been no change to the terrain, and so the lessons
of the past can be applied without careful thought to present
conditions that are different?  I certainly won't dream of
arguing further with you.

>> If you presume programmer productivity is the only thing that
>> matters and treat efficiency like a free resource, it's a dead
>> cert that at some point efficiency will no longer be free.
>
> More and more problems are solved by less and less efficiency.
> Development time, reliability, maintainability, evolution and
> perceived responsiveness are the most important factors.

mmm.

> In the 80s lots of software was close to theoretical
> throughput. Today, almost no software is anywhere close,
> because it is waaaay too expensive in terms of developer time
> as code base sizes increase.

We are speaking of shifts at the margin from where we start
today, and about the future, not historical trends over the past
decade or two.

> D has a chance to gain adoption by picking a direction
so you tend to assert.

> focusing on improving the process. But it is a long road, that
> also requires some cleanup of language.
sure.  hard to find anyone that wouldn't agree with the above.