Where will D sit in the web service space?

Etienne Cimon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 18 07:07:29 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 11:19:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> StackOverflow has become the de-facto documentation resource
> for software engineers. It saves me insane amounts of time,
> many other programmers say the same thing. Google has been
> known to shut down it's own support-forums in order to get
> higher activity on StackOverflow.

StackOverflow is an excellent resource, I've had trouble finding
answers on it for D though because the D.learn forums contain all
the Q&A. I wish we could mirror those on stack overflow or even
channel it there instead. We're stuck in the 90's using
NNTP+forums.

> I see basically 4 reasons to use languages like C++/D/Rust:
>
> 1. Low level hardware/OS access
> 2. Throughput
> 3. Lowered memory usage
> 4. Detailed control over execution patterns.

We're done with desktop UI. The problem domain has shifted with
SPA (single page applications) revolution on the web and
angularjs.

Nothing is as elegant and completely featured like D in the
natively compiled world. I say natively, because that's the only
way to resolve the "interpreter war", seeing your interpreter
banned just like firefox did you flash.

Other languages have too much legacy to carry or have started
with the wrong language design and will be eventually dropped
just like lisp and perl.

WebRTC, bitcoins and torrenting have only scratched the surface
for future web applications. I can guarantee you that there will
be an era where desktop applications are p2p downloaded,
installed, displayed on in a browser and all resources shared
over p2p. Browsers will never be appropriate because it will
always have to slow down the applications and filter everything
for security.

With time, over the years, we will see these primitives being
developed and the world will turn to the language that allows
them to accomplish this, because it will be the only solution to
web neutrality.