Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 18 08:11:28 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 14:07:30 UTC, Etienne Cimon wrote:
> We're done with desktop UI. The problem domain has shifted with
> SPA (single page applications) revolution on the web and
> angularjs.

I write custom web SPAs... I agree that is the way it is going
for regular applications than can live with the 100ms delay of a
network connection.

But the audio-visual desktop applications I pointed to earlier,
are difficult to do well on the web stack, and will be so for at
least a few more years. Even simple animations are difficult to
well on the current version of Chrome. Firefox is better. But
these things take time to mature, because current web
applications drive browser performance-tuning and new
applications target the worst widespread web browser.

Fortunately IE9 and IE10 are quickly dying, and Firefox and
Chrome tend to run on the last few versions. So modern versions
of IE/Chrome/Firefox/Safari are realistic targets in the near
future. And that will change the entire web eco system.

However, I currently don't see much advantage in having the same
language on client and server, so I'll probably stick to
TypeScript/Dart, Angular2/Polymer in the near future because of
debugging and tooling.

> Nothing is as elegant and completely featured like D in the
> natively compiled world.

I like your vision, but to get multithreading in modern browsers
you need a different model than what D uses today.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Workers_API/Using_web_workers

> over p2p. Browsers will never be appropriate because it will
> always have to slow down the applications and filter everything
> for security.

IMHO: In the long term time consuming tasks might be offloaded to
some simplified replacement for OpenCL.