Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 18 11:08:16 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 at 16:55:23 UTC, Etienne Cimon wrote:
> I was talking more about being able to operate a website or web
> application that has been censored or sabotaged. If something
> happens in the coming years to the free web as we know it,
> people will have to turn to custom computer programs and p2p to
> help open up their web services. I'm not talking about the NSA
> censoring stuff. I'm talking about companies being
> anti-competitive. This seems to be becoming more and more
> likely as they (Godaddy, Google, Mozilla, Facebook, Amazon,
> Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, ISPs etc) become greedy and start to
> play rough with each-other and newcomers, using "security" as
> an excuse. It can way too easy to flip the switch on a website
> or technology (eg the flash player incidents over the years).
> The only solution I see is to stop relying on them so much!

Interesting viewpoint.

I think most certainly that Apple will try to constrain what we
can do. With iWatch we are no longer allowed to distribute apps
with machine language (SIMD?), but must use LLVM IR. It is very
likely to happen across the board. I guess only Intel has a
different interest. I can only upload my web servers in
uncompiled form to Google AppEngine too (but that is actually an
advantage).

But I don't worry too much. I'm most worried about the "rent an
application" trend. That everything becomes rented and nothing
owned is problematic I think.