dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 19 21:02:03 PDT 2015

2.068 - resolve remaining regressions and release

2.069 - translate to D. No new features, no refactoring. Only regression fixes
and what's already in HEAD. This should give us a solid baseline. It also means
that open PRs that address other issues will not be pulled for 2.069.

Perhaps we should name this 2.100, to signify such a milestone.

2.101+ -
1. Take advantage of D features to improve quality.
2. Go to full lazy semantic analysis of imports, rather than the current
"analyze them all"
3. Rethink what "speculative instantiation" of templates means so we can have a
coherent process of compiling them.
4. Redo CTFE interpreter so it only rarely needs to allocate memory. This was
already done for constant folding, but now it's time for the rest of the
interpreter.
5. Get rid of reliance on the global error count. This has been mostly done, it
just hast to be finished.
6. Convert the back end to D as well.