dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 19 21:35:29 PDT 2015

On 7/19/2015 9:15 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 09:02:03PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> 3. Rethink what "speculative instantiation" of templates means so we
>> can have a coherent process of compiling them.
>
> For the sake of those of us who aren't so familiar with dmd internals:
> what is speculative instantiation and why does matter so much?

It's the basis of static if - does this piece of code compile. It's been a rich
source of bugs because if the compilation fails, it can leave the state of the
compiler in an indeterminate state.

>> 5. Get rid of reliance on the global error count. This has been mostly
>> done, it just hast to be finished.
> Does this involve cleaning up the handling of error-gagging too?

Yes.

>> 6. Convert the back end to D as well.
> Will a D backend still be under the same license encumbrances as the
> current one?

Yes. Mere translation would not change the license.

But I view the backend license encumbrance as more of a theoretical issue than a
practical one - the license is extremely permissive. There isn't that much more
to it than agreeing to not sue Symantec.